Thursday 23 October 2008

Promises, promises.

Ok, so maybe Fet Gede was too long a deadline for me according to certain Loa.

I've spent most of my time as a Vodouisant working with the Gede, Nago and Rada spirits, and while some of them are certainly quick to act, I'm finding a whole new type of physical dynamism and speed in the work of a Petro spirit with whom I've been building a relationship in the last few weeks.

Yesterday I told her I would make her that new Veve card to attach to the back of her altar. Time, as it is wont to do, got away from me and I never got round to doing it. I don't think she was very pleased with this, because I spent literally hours trying to get to sleep last night. It was as if she was constantly reminding me that I'd said I was going to do something that particular day and hadn't delivered on it - and she wasn't going to let my day end until I'd done it. At 3:45 am I finally admitted defeat and got up, wrapped myself in my dressing gown and sat down in front of my altars with card and a variety of blood-red pens and pencils.

She's a harsh Loa, I won't deny it... but sometimes we need a push to get ourselves going; whether in the magical or mundane world. When I blearily fixed the card to the back of her altar space, I got the distinct feeling she was pleased with me. I splashed the card with florida water to cleanse it, and then on impulse allowed a droplet of the sweet smelling cologne to fall onto the deep red heart-shaped lips of her wanga doll. I could swear she smiled at me; and that the fierce red eyes I'd affixed earlier in the week flashed with pleasure rather than anger. It was 5 am before I went back to bed, and I finally slept soundly.

Nagini

No comments: